26 May 2017

feasting with Philip



There was a fellow who lived in Italy during the 1500s who had a reputation of being both humble and of having a lively sense of humor.  We know him as St. Philip Neri, and his feast day happens to be today.

There are a number of stories that circulate about him.  For instance, there was a priest who gave an eloquent sermon, and then congratulated himself for it.  In response, Philip told him to preach six more times.  (He must have been impressed!  That would add up to God’s perfect number seven!)  There was a catch, though: he had to preach the same sermon all six times.  That way, people would think it was the only one he had!  (That Philip could be a real stinker.)

The greater his reputation for piety, the more ridiculous Philip wanted to appear.  When some people came from Poland to visit the great saint, they found him laughing as another priest was reading jokes to him.  No word on what kind of jokes they were!

I (and others far wiser than I) have felt that holiness and humor go hand in hand.  With holiness in mind, here’s a prayer of St. Philip Neri:
“Lord, beware of this Philip or he will betray you!  Lay your hand upon my head, for without you there is not a sin I may not commit this day.”

I have sometimes made that my prayer.  Lord, beware of this James or he will betray you!  Lay your hand upon my head, for without you there is not a sin I may not commit this day.  I wish it weren’t so, but without God’s grace, I’m afraid that it’s true.

Okay, somebody tell a joke!

No comments: