09 July 2008

is "betrayal" too strong a word?

Today, the Democratic-led Senate voted to update FISA (Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act). They granted retroactive immunity to telecommunications companies who broke the law by illegally assisting the Bush White House in spying on Americans. The image is of an ad that appeared in today's Washington Post.

I don't want to sound like the shrill ideologues (be they on the left or the right), so that's why I ask the question: is "betrayal" too strong a word? This isn't about posturing; it's about the rule of law. I don't expect the TV networks to give this the coverage it deserves. (They haven't so far.) We'll continue to hear about the increasing price of gasoline.

I'm not under any illusions that Barack Obama is a political messiah. I'm just disappointed that he sided with the Republicans and a handful of Democrats in passing this shameful legislation.

No comments: