18 February 2015

snowy ashes



Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent, arrives with snow—a whole two inches of it!  That doesn’t sound like much, but where I am now, that’s either a cause for celebration or lamentation.

Aidan and I went for a cheerfully snowy walk this morning.  (I know he was cheerful, because he was smiling in that way dogs seem to smile.)  He enjoyed a little taste of what he had in New York.

But it is indeed the start of Lent.  Maybe I think this every year, but this Lenten season is being celebrated in a new place, a new chapter in my life (I’m fifty years old!), and a new aspect of ministry (which Banu and I have yet to grasp).  These words from Henri Nouwen especially speak to me:

“I know that Lent is going to be a very hard time for me.  The choice for your way has to be made every moment of my life.  I have to choose thoughts that are your thoughts, words that are your words, and actions that are your actions.  There are not times or places without choices.  And I know how deeply I resist choosing you.”

I’m very good at resisting God’s impulses in me.  Snowy ashes urge me to go with God.  Vaya con dios.

No comments: