29 September 2017

voice of rebellion



“There is a voice of rebellion deep in the heart of the wicked; there is no fear of God before his eyes.”  That’s how the Book of Common Prayer renders Psalm 36:1.  (Pardon the gender exclusive language!)



I find that voice of rebellion within myself.  How often during prayer do I refuse the call to go deeper?  Too often, I fear.  Much too often.

It’s insane.  And it is wicked—it actually does speak of a lack of fear, a lack of reverence, of God.  “I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do.”  I deprive myself and I deprive others of what I could be.  I turn instead to the “monkey mind.”  I’m thinking about everything in the world…  Wait, I need to write that down…  I need to fidget with that object on the table…  Who’s that walking outside?

Anything but where and when and how I am.  The present.

But the psalmist makes a discovery.  In verse 9, the psalmist realizes.  “For with you is the well of life, and in your light we see light.”


In this moment, life quenches our thirst.  Here and now, light fills the world.

No comments: