12 February 2008

it's not easy being green

I would like to believe that either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama would make a difference as president in the machinery that is the American empire. Between the two, I favor Obama. But I really think our two-party system needs to have its grip loosened. Both the Republican and the Democratic Parties have become too comfortable and too entrenched.

The images I've posted speak volumes. The top one is a rather abstract impression of what it means to be Green. The lower one is what plenty of people think about the Green Party: visitors from another planet. If that's what it takes to restore some sanity to our political and electoral process, then I'm all for it!

As for the 2008 presidential campaign, so far it looks like Ralph Nader and Cynthia McKinney are the leading candidates heading towards the Green convention this July in Chicago. Every time I vote for a Green candidate, people say I'm wasting my vote. I look at it this way--if I vote what I believe, then the vote hasn't been wasted. But then, maybe I'm one of those critters arriving on the spaceship!

No comments: