08 March 2008

my sister and international women's day

There are two events that I always associate with today. The first, of higher priority for me personally, is that it's my sister's birthday. The second, of higher priority for the entire world, is that it's International Women's Day. At times, I've attempted to be funny by saying that I remember the 8th of March is International Women's Day because it's my sister's birthday--and my sister is a woman.

We haven't heard very much about International Women's Day in recent years, at least, not as much as in the 90s. Surely Republicans aren't afraid of the "International" in the title? If more countries in all parts of the world were run by women, I really believe there would be far less war. (Not that women don't fight--they just tend to use stuff other than bombs and bullets!)

No comments: