11 March 2008

uli jon roth!

I received in the mail (it's now yesterday) the disc by Uli Jon Roth, Beyond the Astral Skies. He's in the category of "one of the greatest guitarists you've never heard of"--unless, of course, you're one of the few who have heard him. In the 70s, he was with the German band, the Scorpions. He soon left them to pursue his own musical vision.

In 1985, with his band, Electric Sun, he released this album. In my opinion, it was "one of the greatest albums you've never heard of"--unless, of course, you're one of the few who heard it! By the way, 1985 was a big year. That was the year that Mikhail Gorbachev became the final leader of the Soviet Union, and less important to world affairs, on the third of August, I experienced what I consider to be my conversion experience.

On Beyond the Astral Skies, Uli Jon Roth demonstrates an awesome display of guitar virtuosity. His vocals, unfortunately, aren't nearly as impressive. Some people would be less than impressed by his hippy / new age lyrics as exemplified on the song, "Angel of Peace": "but now we've got a chance / To end that evil trance / If we're all joining hands!" That said, I still thank God for the import CD I obtained from Japan!

No comments: