18 May 2009

here's a good idea for a Bible

"This extremely unique Bible shows how the history of the United States connects the people and events of the Bible to our lives in the modern world. The story of the United States is wonderfully woven into the teachings of the Bible..." So reads part of the editorial blurb of the American Patriot's Bible, the New King James Version published this month by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

When I first saw this new version of the Bible on Greg Boyd's blog, I honestly thought it was a joke. He was reminded of a bit that Seth Meyers and Amy Poehler did during Weekend Update on SNL.

I wonder how people can fail to see the idolatrous nature of tying the scriptures to America--or to any other nation, for that matter. But if it makes money, maybe that's all that Thomas Nelson is concerned about!

(Hey, maybe I should pitch my idea about seeing Shetland Sheepdogs intertwined into the Biblical story...)

No comments: