14 November 2009

heart in space

It just dawned on me that I discovered “Hearts of Space” twenty-five years ago this month.

In November 1984, I was listening to the Vanderbilt University radio station (WRVU) in Nashville. At the time, my musical preferences didn’t extend very far beyond heavy metal. I was an undergraduate in college at the time, so anyone who takes music seriously is required to expand one’s musical taste! (Actually, one should always be open to new sonic influences.)

I had already discovered Vangelis and Jean-Michel Jarre while in high school, but when these incredible sounds (including narrator Stephen Hill’s voice) reached me from somewhere near the Andromeda galaxy, I experienced a musical metanoia! I still remember the name of the program: “The Way Home.”

No comments: