13 November 2009

paraskevidekatriaphobia

We have had some car repairs today that we didn’t anticipate upon awakening. There are those who would attribute that to the date, those afflicted by the condition known as paraskevidekatriaphobia.

This morning, as my wife Banu was preparing to visit a parishioner who had recently returned from the hospital, I mentioned to her that today is Friday the 13th. About two minutes after she left, the phone rang. She was calling on the cell phone, alerting me to the fact that one of our car’s tires had lost its tread and gone flat. So I called our parishioner and said a rescheduled visit would be necessary.

Our car was about a mile and a half away (and I’m not in the best physical shape of my life!), so it took me a few minutes to arrive on foot. As it turned out, some kind soul had already helped her change the tire. She had begun driving back home toward me. We were able to easily find someone to pick us up at the garage, after driving at 40mph while using that stupid donut spare tire.

As I said, there are those who fear Friday the 13th. But some people say that if one is able to pronounce the name of this condition, then such a person is cured!

The image is taken from savagechickens.com.

No comments: