26 November 2009

sad soul thankful for the Cowboys


At our local ecumenical Thanksgiving service last Sunday night, I was the preacher. This is how I began my sermon: “This being a special ecumenical service for Thanksgiving, I figured, ‘Well, at least I know what my theme is!’ For some people, the holiday of Thanksgiving is mainly about the history. For others, it’s about the turkey, the pumpkin pie, the (name your favorite food). And for some other very sad souls, it’s about football—especially the Dallas Cowboys!” (By the way, the sermon quickly moved on from there!)

I fully understand that Thanksgiving is not about football, but I must confess to being one of those sad souls for whom the day is missing something if I’m unable to watch the Cowboys play. Having said that, I am thankful that Dallas beat Oakland today!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bigots are bad, but those who enable them are much worse.

Columbine 101.
Lesson One.

dr. sheltie said...

I'm not sure how the first comment applies to my post.