10 December 2008

a knight who really is dark

"Why so serious?"

I saw the Christopher Nolan-directed The Dark Knight (2008) twice in the theater last summer. Banu and I watched the film on DVD last night. I enjoyed his "memorable" movie Memento (2000), with Guy Pearce and Carrie-Anne Moss. Watching Insomnia (2002) as the fatigued Al Pacino chases Robin Williams makes me sleepy--but that's a good thing!

When he did Batman Begins (2005) with Christian Bale, I felt like I was seeing Batman the way he should be portrayed: as truly a "dark" and conflicted character, not the cartoonish buffoon we've too often seen.

As much as I like Christian Bale, it's the late Heath Ledger who is the star of The Dark Knight. He truly explores and inhabits the insanity of the Joker. If someone else deserves the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor, I'd be hard-pressed to come up with a name.

"Let's put a smile on that face!"

No comments: